San Francisco Maritime Museum
For over two decades, ARG has helped restore the Maritime Museum’s original glory as a public gathering space. From the micro (analyzing paint samples to restore artwork) to the macro (waterproofing and window restoration), ARG’s work has put the polish back on this beautiful example of Streamline Moderne nautical-style architecture.
What You May Not Know
In 1958, years after construction, the Bayview room, also known as the “Blue Room,” was painted coral and gray and was later repainted white. ARG Conservators conducted paint analysis and did window exposures to uncover and restore the original blue paint scheme.
Below the Museum are two subterranean wings with showers and dressing facilities for Aquatic Park bathers. The showers were fitted with “electric eyes” that turned the water off and on for bathers.
In 1941, the bathhouse was used by the military as the headquarters for anti-aircraft defense on the Pacific Coast. The bathhouse was used for housing troops and as offices.
The prominent African-American sculptor, Sargent Johnson, executed the exterior bas-relief in green slate surrounding the main entrances. ARG utilized an innovative method for removing soluble salts from the panels using ultra-sonic cleaning technologies and surface treatments for the masking of incised graffiti.
For a full list of honors received by the San Francisco Maritime Museum, please click here.
Photography by David Wakely