Francisco Park

Constructed in 1859 by the Spring Valley Water Works, the Francisco Street Reservoir was San Francisco’s first distribution reservoir. Built to support the city’s rapid growth and development after the Gold Rush, it is the only remaining piece of water system infrastructure from this early development period. The site is individually eligible for both the National Register of Historic Places and the California Register of Historical Resources.


Located in San Francisco’s Russian Hill Neighborhood, the reservoir sat vacant for several decades after it was taken out of service in the 1960s. Francisco Park Conservancy hired ARG in 2015 to complete an updated Historic Resource Evaluation (HRE) for a proposed new park development at the site.



Following the completion of the HRE, ARG provided design consultation services and developed a Secretary of the Interior’s Standards Analysis for the proposed project as part of the City’s CEQA review process.


ARG also completed Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) documentation for the reservoir prior to park development, provided conservation services and recommendations related to rehabilitation of original features on site, and reviewed the interpretive installations to support the project entitlement process.


The park officially opened to the public in Spring 2022.


Photos courtesy of Schaf Photo Studios and Architectural Resources Group

Skip to content